Friday 13 December 2013

Six Hair Saviours

I'm currently in the midst of one HUGE bad hair day. Actually, it's not even a day, it's more like two months of consistently crap hair; I'm talking static, greasy roots, dry ends and awful mousey roots (I'm sort of rocking my very own and unintentional ombre). To top it all off, its falling out too. In a big way. I sort of expected this as first time round, after baby number one, the same thing happened but I'm convinced it wasn't falling out to this extent. Every time I glance at my Tangle Teezer post-brushing, my heart sinks a little at the amount of hair hugging it. And ponytails look, well, puny.

Anyway, apparently it's all quite normal. The proper term for it is postpartum hair loss; you lose on average 100 hairs a day but, when you're pregnant, your boosted levels of oestrogen (pregnancy hormones) prolong the growing stage, stopping them falling out. However, after you give birth, your oestrogen levels tumble - together with that hair. It's not permanent - experts say by the time your baby is one, your hair will be back to how was it before - but it can be pretty scary when you're losing a handful or so every time you brush and your hairline starts to recede (!)

So what to do? To be honest, there isn't tons you can do bar sit and wait it out. However, I'm using these six things to hide the hair loss and keep my hair in as good condition as it can be.

Tangle Teezer, £10.99 (boots.com)
I've used this for ages and ages and it's simply brilliant. The cleverly placed teeth on the brush tease out tangles without pulling and leave hair super smooth. There's one just for brushing wet hair too.
 
Batiste Dry Shampoo Original, £2.99 (boots.com)
I heart this so much and though I've seen tons of fancier versions, this surpasses them all. I spritz into my roots, massage in a little and then comb through to soak up grease and add much needed texture.

Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection AgeDefy Shampoo, £5.99 (boots.com)
This  combines Pro-Vitamin B5 and caffeine to thicken and boost the hair. I've been using it about a week and my hair does seem less greasy and definitely a little thicker. Lovely to use too.

Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep, £19.50 (aveda.co.uk) 
I love, love, love Aveda but this is my all-time favourite hair product. I spray it into damp hair after shampooing and it not only makes brushing easier, it adds a little lift at the roots once my hair is dry.

Weleda Revitalising Hair Tonic, £9.95 (weleda.co.uk)
This natural hair tonic contains rosemary, which apparently stimulates circulation at the scalp to boost growth. I massage in before bed as I'm not too keen on the scent and it feels really refreshing.

Viviscal Maximum Strength Hair Growth Supplements, £49.95 (viviscal.co.uk)
I haven't actually tried these protein-packed supplements yet (and actually, I've just read you shouldn't whilst breast feeding) but I really want to - I've heard top stylists absolutely rave about them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment