Monday 15 July 2013

Stretch Mark Oils

Like any new mum I was concerned about the onslaught of stretch marks that would possibly occur once my bump started expanding (around 75 to 90% of women will get them). And of course, every mum you meet will have an oil, balm or cream that they swore prevented them from appearing (and of course, you;ll go and buy said balm just incase it really does work). But do they? In my experience, oils are great for keeping your bump moisturised to-the-hilt; oils are made up of smaller molecules than creams so are absorbed much more easily into the skin, so they're well worth investing in. However, I'd say it's down to genetics too; if your mum went through two pregnancies and stayed stretch mark-free, it's likely you will too. N.B use your oil on damp skin, you'll find it absorbs easier.

In my case, I got through my first pregnancy with just a few little marks around my belly button (and I had been alternating an oil with a heavy duty body cream every other day - or when I just didn't fancy the oil). And now, at 38 weeks, it looks like it's going the same way. I guess I'm lucky in that respect. Saying that, if it turns out to be more, it's nothing a little self-tan won't fix so I won't worry about it. Either way, I've been trialling a few body oils over the last few weeks. Some I loved ... some were okay-ish but for me, a lot of it is down to the scent - I won't use anything unless it smells good too. Here are some of my favourites:
 

Weleda Stretch Mark Massage Oil, £15.95 (weleda.co.uk)
This is lovely. It contains sweet almond oil (packed with essential fatty acids) and has a light citrus scent that isn't overpowering, plus, it's all natural too. And it doesn't leave your skin feeling sticky - something I found with a lot of stretch mark oils I've tried.


Mama Mio OMega Body Oil, £23 (mamamio.com)
It's not specifically a stretch mark oil but its ingredients (think argan, sweet almond and jojoba oils) make it super hydrating and fab at maintaining your skin's elasticity. Again, sinks in nicely and a little goes a long way though I wasn't sure about the floral and citrus scent.
 

Pure Mum to Be Stretchmark Oil, £9.50 (marksandspencer.com)
This is from a really lovely (and affordable) range. The ingredients list doesn't boast as many moisturisers though its key ingredient, rosehip oil, is packed with omega's and is brilliant at evening skin tone too. Be wary though; no smaller spout-application means it just pours out of the bottle.
 

Clarins Body Treatment Oil Firming/Toning, £38 (clarins.co.uk) 
I've been recommended this so many times and for good reason. It's a huge multi-tasker (firming, toning and hydrating with hazelnut oil, rosemary and mint) but also, it just smells amazing and will genuinely soothe your senses. For me, that alone makes it worth the investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment